Friday 4 September 2009

Video of Felixstowe Bathing Beauty Competition




Here is a video of the Bank Holiday at Felixstowe from 'Felixstowe TV'. It will be interesting to see what the full length programme will be like and what ideas they have to regenerate Felixstowe. Felixstowe is a funny old place! I went to high school there and I remember as a teenager I was desperate to leave the place which I did at 17! However now when I go back and visit, I really enjoy some parts of it. Old Felixstowe is lovely. It has lots of beach huts and is uncommercial and therefore unspoilt. There are some wonderful art deco style houses overlooking the beaches and a golf course which leads down to the hamlet of Felixstowe Ferry. Here there are weatherboard beach shacks that people live in, a fresh fish hut and a couple of pubs and a cafe. You can catch the ferry over to Bawdsey from here. Yet at the other end of Felixstowe there is a huge port, otherwise known as 'The Docks'. It does provide major employment for local people but the downsides are that as it has grown it has swallowed up some lovely spots on the river Orwell and the landscape is now blotted by cranes that look like giant metal dinosaurs. As as child I used to play at Trimley foreshore and some of that foreshore now is part of 'The Docks'. Also at that end of town is the more commercial aspect of the town with amusement arcades, nightclub, fairground etc. Personally I prefer old Felixstowe. I did wonder why they filmed this show at the more commercial side of the town but then perhaps that is the side of town that needs more help to regenerate.

1 comment:

  1. Just watched the film, it's so exciting. I like your positive outlook on returning to Felixstowe, there seem to be a lot of good points. It'll be interesting to see how the programme turns out.
    Adele

    ReplyDelete